The Domesday Book records the church in Sutton in the year 1087. We believe St Nicholas has occupied the present site since that time. The building which now exisists reflects the rise in population of the town during Victorian times, when the former church became too small for the size of the congregation, so had to be demolished. The present church was built in 1864 at a cost of £7,600 and contains some monuments from the old church.
On entering the Church by the West Door, on the south side is a stained glass window, dedicated in November 2000. Depicting angel wings, the window was designed, made and presented to the church as a Millennium gift.
By the South Door you will see the Font, this holds water used for the baptism service. Water is a sign of washing and cleansing. In baptism it is a sign of being washed from sin and beginning a new life with God.
On the walls and floor of the church are memorials to people who used to worship here. Many of the stained glass windows were also given in memory of someone connected with the church. Separate guides give brief details of all the people remembered in the church in various memorials, in brass and stone and glass; note particularly the memorials to the young men who died fighting in the First and Second World Wars and give thanks for their sacrifice.
The Chapel at the front of the south aisle is a quiet area reserved for prayer. It is here that the Thursday morning services are held and at other times people gather for prayer.
Behind the main Altar in the chancel the Reredos is taken from the vision of St John in the Book of Revelation. The central figure is the Lamb, and on each side there are two angels bowing in adoration. Above the altar is the beautiful East Window depicting ten scenes in the life of Christ
In addition to the main altar in the chancel, the nave altar (holy table) is situated at the foot of the chancel steps. It is here that Family Communion on Sundays is celebrated among God’s people.
The organ was built in 1899. It has three manuals and 55 stops. There is also a digital piano to accompany the singing of songs and hymns.
On the north side of the church the windows are plain glass. These are a reminder of the bomb, which fell in the churchyard on the night of 24 September 1940. All the windows down this side were blown out, but the church was not severely damaged and services continued to be said by candlelight and torch.
The black boards with faded gold lettering at the back of church record charitable gifts in the 18th and 19th centuries, some of which still provide a small dividend for the sick and poor of the parish.
Beside the West Porch door there is a list of Rectors of this church since 1291.
St Nicholas Church, together with Trinity URC/Methodist and Sutton Baptist Church, form a Local Ecumenical Partnership and share ministry with the clergy of those churches.
St Nicholas is floodlit during the evening and night hours. If you would like to sponsor the floodlighting for a week to commemorate a special occasion such as a birthday, baptism or anniversary, please ask.
To enquire about hiring the church please complete the enquiry form on the Hire our Facilities page.