St Nicholas Church, Sutton
St Nicholas Church, Sutton is a Grade II* listed parish church in the centre of Sutton, London. It is the oldest of the three town centre churches in Sutton and is surrounded by a small ancient graveyard, which is wooded. It also contains some lawned areas with benches. Two well used public footpaths run through these grounds.
The Domesday Book records the church in Sutton in the year 1087: we believe St Nicholas has occupied the present site since that time. The building which exists now reflects the rise in population of the town during Victorian times, when the former church became too small for the size of the congregation, so had to be demolished. The present church was built in 1864 at a cost of £7,600 and contains some monuments from the old church.